Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Finding Joy in the Pain of Starting Something NEW

Starting something new can be hard for some people. We become complacent with are day to day life and anything that try's to penetrate our normal routine we tend to run far away from. What do I mean be starting something new? It could be many things:

1) Starting a new job or school
2) Changing eating habits or exercise plan
3) Quitting smoking
4) Investing money
5) OR Starting a new blog!!! or social network ---> follow me on twitter @BmoreLikeCam

When my mom suddenly told us that we were moving  over 700 miles and 12 hours away from Rochester, NY to Charlotte, NC I had no problem. I had only heard of North Carolina in text books at school and the only thing I really knew about it was the capital (only because we had to remember all 50 states and their capitals in school). I still looked forward to starting a new life in North Carolina.

In school I always chose schools where I didn't know anyone. When I went to middle school I chose a Middle School way across town where I had to catch 2 buses to get to school each day. When I went to high school I chose a school on the opposite side of town where none of my friends from middle school were going. Finally, when I graduate High School I decided to leave my friends again and go to North Carolina State University were I knew absolutely no one. Upon graduation I plan to move again and start something new somewhere else.

I'm no expert but here's Cam's tips on over coming the fear of starting something new:

1) We have all heard of the 5 P's Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. Do your research! Find out all you need to know about your possible new experience. Think of ALL possible outcomes and be prepared for ALL of those possibilities.

2) Recognize that it is normal to feel anxiety BUT don't let it debilitate you. Keep pressing, and when you feel anxious think to yourself that it is a normal reaction and that your stronger than it.

3) Come up with ways to cope with the stress of anxiety. You could start working out, talk to friends, shoot dice, go white water rafting, cut cart wheel, count sheep idk whatever you need to do to keep your anxiety level down.

4) Lastly, don't let the new experience consume your life. If you have to designate a certain time that you will think about the situation and after that time is up.... do something else. Don't let a pressing situation stay on your mind because it could overwhelm you and could keep you from doing well at your new experience.

Thank you for reading my FIRST blog post! I Hope to keep it interesting in such for the viewers! 

SUBSCRIBE!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! I am all about the new. Of course as you know I started a blog recently as well (believablyme.blogspot.com) and it has been the best decision ever thanks to my bff LaLa (check her out at njlala@blogspot.com).

    Another tip can be to (depending on the type of new thing) involve your friends and/or family. Sometimes when you have a partner in crime, it helps encourage you. I started a blog alone, but my friends and family dedicated themselves to reading and commenting, making me feel very supported and less nervous about doing something new like this.

    Last thing I am going to say is I have violated your #4 above...I let blogging consume my life LOL! But, it's a good consume, I enjoy it and its a stress reliever.

    Overall, awesome choice for a first post and I look forward to reading what else you have got to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Cam! And just like Brittany I also broke the consuming rule lol. All I do is blog and read other blogs in my free time and when I'm at work pretending to work lol. Now I have another blog to read! YAY!! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete